Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can I get a false positive result for hepatitis c?

I gave birth 5 days ago and while they were putting some stitches in the nurse accidentally poked herself with my needle. They told me that I would have to be tested to make sure nothing was transmitted to her. I thought no big deal I've always treated myself well, never did drugs, so there should be no issue.


well, I get a call today from my doctor saying that I tested positive for hepatitis c. How can that be??? I talked to her about it and stated I wanted another test done because I should not have it. I've only had sex with 2 people my entire life the 2nd being my husband. I have always been safe, used condoms before I got married, never did drugs, I have always played it safe. When I got my ears pierced I watched them get new needles.My husband has been tested multiple times due to the military. We've never cheated on each other either.


I don't feel that it is right. I got more blood drawn today to confirm the test and if need be I will go to another doctor to be tested again. My husband is being tested again just in case and I'm insisting that they check my kids just in case. I'm freaking out because I keep thinking how can this happen.


What I want to know is can a false positive happen? Have you or anyone you know gone through this and come out negative? Any info would be great. I have been surfing the internet reading about what it is and how it's caused and I just don't see how it can happen.Can I get a false positive result for hepatitis c?
Kimberly,





False positives do occur on these types of tests. More investigation is needed in your case. Hemolyzed samples (free hemoglobin in the serum) can cause false reactions, gross lipemia, recent vaccinations may interfer, if you received any blood products in the hospital (plasma, platelets, RhoGam (or Rh Immune Globulin) - these are suspect as well. Blood screening helps to prevent transmission of hepatitis, however it is not 100% foolproof.





The first indication that yours MAY be a false positive is your pregnancy. Pregnancy does lots of weird things to the serum and can be a source of a false positive. I've had positive HIV tests on a pregnant woman that came back absolutely negative on the confirmation test.





Having a second test, by a second method if possible is the best place to start. In addition, you need to have a physician evaluate you to see if your clinical symptoms and other test results (liver enzymes, etc) support a diagnosis of Hep C.


Edit: your physician should not rely solely on one test result or without examining you.





While you've taken care to help prevent possible hepatitis transmission, you could have experienced an event that you were unaware of that is the source of a potential infection. Don't give up hope....bottom line - confirmation is required and correlation by a physician to other test results is required.





Hope this helps.......Can I get a false positive result for hepatitis c?
False positives can happen, although slim, it does happen, you may have an antibody. Have you ever received a blood transfusion before '91? Was your child jaundice when they were born? Congratulations, and you should be ok, you haven't said that you have all the signs or anything so it sounds like they may have gotten a false positive. Having liver problems suck (I know, look at my last question) but not being jaundice or any of the other tall tail signs you should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment