Monday, February 8, 2010

Can not fasting for blood test give a false positive for Hepatitis C?

I recently had to take a blood test that required me to fast for 12 hours prior. I did not know I would have to fast and had eaten breakfast that morning. To save time, I lied and said that I had fasted and got my blood taken. The results came back, and it said I tested positive for Hepatitis C. I am confused because I haven't done anything that could possibly infect my blood. I am curious if me lying about fasting could have possibly given me a false positive for Hepatitis C? Should I come clean and get retested or what?Can not fasting for blood test give a false positive for Hepatitis C?
Fasting or not has nothing to do with the results of your test. You're welcome to retest, but be prepared to accept that the Hep C diagnosis might not change.





There are all kinds of weird ways you can get Hep C espeically if you work with tools, have tattoos, had a blood transfusion, or work in a place where exposure to blood is possible. It's highly unlikely you can get it from sex, so I wouldn't look there in your past.





I was diagnosed in 2002, looking back there are two possible exposure points that stand out. Either the small tattoo I got in 1992, or the communal use of power tools and cutting utensils that were used during my curriculum in college.





If you do end up with it...don't waste your time getting in a tizzy about it...there is treatment that works and the faster you make a decision to get started on it the higher your chances are of ridding yourself of the virus will be. The treatement worked for me, I'm still Hep C free almost 6 years later.Can not fasting for blood test give a false positive for Hepatitis C?
Fasting will not affect the test. You will be retested with a different test to confirm the result. Food intake will not affect that test either.
Get retested, a fast isn't required for Hepititis testing.


Read this site about false positives:


http://www.hepcnet.net/hepatitiscfaq.htm鈥?/a>
I doubt that hep C testing would require fasting... but I would definitely get retested to make sure.
Get re-tested. There is more than one way to contract Hepatitis C. Look it up.
  • short hair cuts
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment